By: Grandmaster Ted Gambordella
I have been practicing Martial Arts for 46 years and I have achieved a 9th degree Black Belt in Jiu Jitsu, 8th degree in Tae Kwon Do, 8th degree in weapons. I have been active as a teacher daily for the last 46 years and I really love the Martial Arts and I believe everyone can benefit from Martial Arts training. Here are 10 reasons why I love the Martial Arts.
- You can do Martial Arts for a lifetime. Martial Arts are one of the few sports you can do for a lifetime. A lot of sports young people play in high school are over after high school, except for a few select athletes. When you are out of high school you are thru playing football, baseball, competitive swimming, track, lacrosse, etc. Only a few sports like golf, tennis, bowling and Martial Arts can be done for a lifetime. I have been doing the Martial Arts for 46 years and I intend to do them for another 50.
- You can learn new techniques for a lifetime. Not only can you do Martial Arts for a lifetime but you can continue to learn new techniques and skills for a lifetime. The Martial Arts are continually evolving and getting better and better. The old Martial Arts Masters were Great, extremely talented, but the new Martial Arts Masters are better. They know a lot more, they have learned a lot more because the Martial Arts have continued to grow and add new techniques and improve through the years. You can learn new techniques forever in the Martial Arts.
- You can get better as you get older. In 90% of the sports you peak in your skill level in your 20’s and early 30’s. You do not get better as you get older. You do not get stronger, faster, quicker or tougher but you can get better in the Martial Arts because if you are doing them right, they don’t require speed, power, or extreme toughness. They require practice, patience and persistence. I am a much better Martial Artist today than I was at 30.
- You can teach and inspire others. Most sports after high school do not allow you to teach and inspire others to improve their lives. After 45 years of training I can still teach and inspire young people to improve their lives, developing confidence, increasing athletic ability, gaining mental confidence and improving mental conditioning.
- You can be confident in any situation. The Martial Arts allows you to be confident in a dangerous situation, like a street fight, but it also allows you to be confident in daily life. It teaches you to preserve when things are not going well at work, school, or life in general. It gives you the mental power to endure during the hard times and to work to achieve your goals no matter the obstacles in front of you.
- You can stay strong for a lifetime. The Martial Arts works your entire body, your legs, your abs, your back, your arms, your neck and your hands and feet. It gives you a full body workout every time you do a Martial Arts workout. It builds your muscles and increases your endurance and power. Doing the Martial Arts will keep you strong, fit and vibrant for a lifetime.
- You can stay flexible for a lifetime. One of the first signs of aging that shows in people who do not exercise or follow a good fitness program is their loss of flexibility. They can’t touch their toes, they can move well, the walk stooped over, their backs hurt. All of these are directly related to loss of flexibility caused by not doing flexibility exercises during a regular exercise program. Every time you do Martial Arts you work on your flexibility and assure you will keep it for life. The benefits of being flexible are substantial and can greatly improve the quality of your life.
- You can be healthier for a lifetime. Any regular exercise program can help you stay healthier than doing no exercise at all, but Martial Arts is one of the best because it will work the entire body, keep you flexible and keep your mind sharp. Martial Arts works allow you to stay healthier than those around you because it helps keep you in top condition for a lifetime.
- You will stop living in fear. One of the obvious benefits of taking Martial Arts is the confidence that it gives you for a lifetime. You will not have to live in fear of being beat up by bullies, or attacked in the streets. You will have the confidence that comes from practice and preparation to know that you can defend yourself, your family and your friends. This is a major benefit of Martial Arts training, I know many people who live in fear. They live in dangerous areas, they are afraid to go out and do not have the confidence that they should to enjoy their lives. The Martial Arts can give you the confidence you need to enjoy your life to the fullest.
- You can help others to improve the quality of their life. One of the great things about the Martial Arts is that you usually do it with other people and after you have done it for a few years, you become a teacher and you can start helping other people to improve the quality of their lives by passing on your Martial Arts training to them. You can teach Martial Arts for a lifetime and you can help others for a lifetime.
In summary I believe that the Martial Arts is one of the most beneficial life style activity you can do to improve the quality of your life, and to maintain that quality for the rest of your life. It is truly a sport for a lifetime.
For more info: Grandmaster Ted Gambordella is the author of 42 books and 24 DVD’s. For more info see his website www.blackbeltinabox.com